Saturday, May 28, 2011

Apple Spice Bread

Today, I've tried a recipe from About.com... with a few renditions here and there, I think I'll do it more often~! hehe
This is the Apple Spice Cake Recipe I got from
http://southernfood.about.com/od/quickbreadrecipes/r/bl50823i.htm
The recipe given called for 2 loaves so I basically halved the recipe.

Well... I think I'll give my next adaptation here...
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped apples
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup melon seeds, toasted
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
  • 1 teaspoons sugar mixed with a sprinkle of cinnamon

Preparation:

  1. Sift into a bowl, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla, then stir in chopped apples, raisins, and seeds.
  3. Add the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
  4. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pans and line bottoms with waxed paper. Greased waxed paper(FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTION OR THE CAKE WON"T COME OUT AND IT"LL LOOK HORRIBLE).
  5. Pour batter into pans, smoothing the top with a spatula or spoon. Bake for 20 minutes at 160°C. Pull out rack and sprinkle loaves with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
  6. Continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
  7. Cool for 10 minutes; turn out onto a rack. Slice and serve or freeze.
The cake basically turned out quite moist, in my case with my not so pretty bread, sufficiently flavourful, not too sweet which is fantastic in my case, a little eggy ( thanks to me adding an extra large egg into the recipe) but all in all it was quite nice! I'm going to try adding a tsp of fennel seeds or a tsp of cumin seeds next time for an extra punch!

No comments:

Post a Comment