Friday, April 19, 2013

Muse: the Body speaks

First and foremost, I have to identify myself - I am a GIRL.

So, since I'm born female, I'm usually surrounded by girls who feel insecure about their body and weight.
That being said, should they feel insecure about their size??? So, after my roommate (who is insecure about her body) raised the issue about being fat a-g-a-i-n... I think it's about time I post something to educate girls out there about their body.

First and foremost, GOD didn't make woman to be the same shape, same size and same person.
For example, twins may be brought up together but do not share the same characteristics. So, we are born or made with differences even if we have the same organs (hopefully), same parents and same environment. So, do not expect you and the woman sitting beside you to always have the same body shape!

I found a link with good pictures on the different body shapes, so if you're interested for more details, go here.
Types of Body (Women)

Then, moving on the weight issue. 
GIRLS should NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR WEIGHT!

Seriously, the weighing scale just gives you numbers and gives you the weight of your body. Weight of your body includes your fats, muscles, organs and water weight. 

So, can you be light and unhealthy? YES
So, can you be heavy and unhealthy? YES

Why do I say so? I remembered an article similar to this, but this will do for now... hehe


WAIT... So I can be light or heavy and still be unhealthy? YES yes YES! SO how can I be healthy?
Simple, just eat healthy and have a healthy lifestyle. =)

I know, healthy food is expensive compared to fried food (easiest cheap unhealthy food example). Why not? Supply meets demand. The people have been demanding fried food as compared to healthy food (since most prefer to make their own). Hence, the price would definitely drop (fried food becomes cheaper) to increase demand of fried food and increase the chains need to supply the public to meet that demand. So who's to blame. You yourself. BLEK. Don't point fingers... it's worthless. You have to educate everyone on healthy eating to reverse this trend and too bad I'm not the Minister of Health to make this change. 

BMI

So, everyone likes to use BMI right? So, I'll give you a BMI answer first.

What's a healthy BMI? Since I'm Asian, I'll give an Asian answer because most of the BMI readings out there are not for Asians. The research by the WHO is here

I know you'd be lazy so I had skimmed through it and found this at the 

conclusion and recommendations... at page 161.
  1. The WHO expert found that Asians generally have a higher percentage of body fat than white people of the same age, sex, and BMI. Also, the proportion of Asian people with risk factors of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease is substantial even below the existing WHO BMI cut-off point of 25 kg/m3. Thus, current cut-off points do not provide an adequate basis for taking action on risks related to overweight and obesity in many populations in Asia (except for Northern Chinese and Japanese whereby the cut-off could be 5 units higher).
  2. In considering BMIs of less than 21, it should be borne in mind that the lower range of BMI might reflect under nutrition in populations with current or recent widespread under nutrition.
  3. They recommended that Asians population have this new BMI reading.

Underweight at less than 18.5
Increasing but acceptable risk at 18.5 – 23
Increased risk at 23 – 27.5
Higher high risk above 27.5


So, is BMI the end all. Definitely NOT!  

At page 163, scroll all the way down and there will be a comparison between two persons with the same BMI, with different x-rays, and different body fat levels. (Men were used)

BODY FAT? 
Is that a new word? No... It's an old word. So does that make a difference, yes it does. 
But to know more about it, read here.

DO NOTE! There is a difference between low body fat with muscle and no muscle.

MUSCLE MASS
Why?
If you are too skinny (cause you don't eat much and you work out sometimes), your muscles won't form, if it does; it goes inwards and you'd get to see skin and bones. Then, if you're a woman, you may have hormone imbalance and not have period. *Personal experience (didn't have mine for a year until I took hormone pills).

That being said, I didn't really take pictures in bikinis to show you guys, so I've got other experts data and pictures to prove my point, here.

My conclusion and advice
  1. Don't fret about not being able to fit those clothes (body shape)
  2. Don't fret about the weighing scale. (Muscle mass + BMI + Body fat)
  3. Fret about not eating healthy food.
  4. Fret about not having a healthy lifestyle.
Worry about the right things. Live your life as you want it and not as what the public wants it. After all, the public is not living your life and understand your troubles. You do, you live it and you experience it. Don't waste your life. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment