Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Amused at Istana Kehakiman, Putrajaya

I think it's time I get back to writing, maybe... to find a sense of normalcy/ sanity, maybe... to keep some secrets here.

Today was the first day I visited one of the appellate courts in Malaysia, i.e. the Court of Appeal and Federal Court.

Honestly, it is amazing. Unfortunately, since I went there empty handed, I have to pen down my memories without any photos. =(

The interior and exterior (even the pavements) of the Istana Kehakiman was marble... everywhere, so as I walked around in my court shoes, the steps I made was clear. Reflected by the floor, walls... I'm not so sure about the ceilings! Haha.... funny that I think of the sound of my shoes at this point! 

Then, as I walked nearer and into the Istana, my Master greeted his friends, checked his case and Court at a kiosk before asking me to follow his friend up to the Court room.

This being my first time, the 'wow' factor of the Istana made the whole place seemed like a maze (when it really is not that big -disclaimer- I only walked around 2 floors *hehe but there's definitely more than two floors). So, I graciously followed his friend to the Court and waited patiently before he dismissed me, telling me to visit the other courts since our case would start after 10.00. 

*WEEE~~~! Travel time.

So I sat in the Federal Court (2nd Bench), if I'm not wrong since the other Federal Court was filled to the brim with reporters eager to write on the Church's case on the use of the word 'Allah'. So, I settled myself into the chair for the spectators/ public, i.e. at the back of the Court. (Well, if you're not a lawyer submitting, you also sit here)

*mental note, please check where you're sitting so that the light doesn't make you blind/ tired. 

What of my experience with the bench?
Seriously and honestly, I almost thought I was watching a movie/ drama. The lighting made the male chinese judge's face depict the face of an opera mask. The rest of the judges, were not much different. Haha.... but it was really cool, watching them up there as they considered the submissions of the counsels.

Any shining moments in that Court? 
Yes. When a counsel representing a law firm was suing presumably one of the partners, stating that lawyers are liars, unethical, to know them properly is only possible if one is to judge the person themselves.

The reply by the judge. "You can't say that." 

This reminded me, not to judge a group of person just because of one person. 
Eg. not to judge a basket of apples as bad just because one of the apples had a worm in it.
Eg. not to judge that women are all prostitutes just because there are many female prostitutes.
etc.

Take-back messages
To make sure I can pronounce my words clearly and persuasively. 
Why? I find difficulty in hearing counsels who can't do that well, so naturally, I don't listen to them. If this is happening to me, what more the judges.

To be very prepared. To make sure I've done all that I have needed to do before approaching the Courts.

Any place worth seeing in the Istana Kehakiman?
The Muzium Kehakiman. I liked that I could see relics/ antiques. Besides being able to see them, there were short succint explanations to explain certain objects/ history.

The library?
Well-stocked from what I've seen in less than 5 minutes, but I still prefer my University's library! =D

Well... I think this is my max.... of random blogging.
See you soon....I really should make a schedule to write this!

No comments:

Post a Comment